With Halloween coming up this week, it is only fair that Max and Bella also enjoy this holiday getting dressed up. It is hard to believe they have been a part of our family for 4 months now.
Santa had promised the girls they would get a puppy in 2013. It was my husband’s idea to get a puppy (which turned into two puppies) at the beginning of the summer. This enabled the girls to bond with the dogs while they were on summer break. Great decision!
Neither my husband nor I grew up with dogs so this has been a true learning experience. Here are the lessons we have learned so far:
– Babysit friends’ dogs to expose the kids to the responsibility of having a dog before you get one.
– Get the dog while the kids are young so they can grow up with the dogs.
– “EST” every day – Exercise (walking the dogs), Socialization and Training are important for dogs.
– Study the different breeds – we were focused on hypoallergenic dogs with hair which don’t shed – poodle mixes like ours are very popular for that reason as well as many others.
– Travel requires more planning – While you lose flexibility to just get up and go away for longer periods of time, the love and affection we have received from Max and Bella is well worth it! Can’t imagine our lives without them!