A few years ago, I attended an author event with Susan Jane Bodell. She shared some highlights from a book she had written: Look for the Hook: A Guide to Finding Happiness, Purpose and Fulfillment One Baby Step at a Time. It was definitely inspirational and reiterated many basic life lessons/strategies we all can incorporate in our own everyday lives to become happier people. Here are some of my favorite lessons from the book which I also shared with my children:
– Surround yourself with positive people.
– Serenity prayer (Let go of what you can’t control or change)
– Be grateful – Take a few moments every day to think about this in the AM/PM.
– Choices – You can choose to have a bad day or good day.
– I’m fantastic! – (This one is my favorite) If someone asks you how you are, provide them with an enthusiastic “I’m fantastic!” I can pretty much guarantee you the other person will smile and so will you.
I really enjoyed this book and even brought Susan in as a speaker for a Mother’s Day event in the office. I wanted to provide moms with some “positive thinking” tips. Very often “working moms” can be guilty of being so hard on themselves.
Look for the Hook: A Guide to Finding Happiness, Purpose and Fulfillment One Baby Step at a Time is an easy read and I am sure you’ll pick up some tips to renew your spirit and find happiness. When it comes down to it, isn’t that what we all want? To be happy, grateful and satisfied?
For the younger set, I high recommend the “Bucketfiller” series of books. Have You Filled a Bucket Today? A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids is a wonderful book in this series. It is described as a “basic teaching tool that encourages positive behavior as children see how very easy and rewarding it is to express kindness, appreciation, and love on a daily basis. Through sweet, simple prose and vivid illustrations, children learn the meaning of the terms, bucket filling and bucket dipping and discover that when they fill someone’s bucket, they fill their own.”
Just remember if you’re younger or older, “you” can choose to be filled with optimism or negativity. Positive energy begets positive energy. It’s your choice!