I always wanted to be part of a book club and decided to start my own. I call it the YOLO (You Only Live Once) Book Club. We read “YOLO-type” books which focus on positivity and are a group of moms with younger kids that meet every other month (gives us more time to read the book).
When we meet to discuss, everyone shares 5 things they learned from the book. The first book we read was Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin. Happiness means different things for everyone, but we all picked up “positive” things from this book we could incorporate in our lives.
One of my favorite tips was around creating a “shrine to my family” and how “happy families tend to display large numbers of photographs in their homes.” This has always been an aspiration of mine, but I can’t seem to make happen. A ” holiday photo gallery” is a much more attainable goal for me. I agree with Gretchen Rubin that when we see family pictures in our home every day, we don’t seem to engage in them because they are a “permanent part” of our home decor. She suggests a “holiday photo gallery” which is something I can definitely do. I plan on taking all of my daughters’ Halloween photos over the years and putting them in frames. I will bring these pictures out only at Halloween so we notice and pay attention to them. It’s similar to the concept of Easter and Christmas decor. How excited do you and your family get when you bring out the decorations for that season? You don’t see that decor all the time so it is special.
We are always looking for new book ideas to add to our current YOLO Book Club list. This is what we have so far (in no particular order):
1) The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
2) Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin
3) The Art of Happiness by Howard Cutler and Dalai Lama
4) Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
6) How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie
7) Joel Osteen books; Every Day a Friday by Joel Osteen
8) The Secret by Rhonda Byrne
9) The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch
10) Words that Matter: A Little Book Of Life Lessons – Oprah Magazine Editors of O
11) A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose or The Power of Now: Guide to Spirtual Enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle
12) The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go Of Who You Think You’re Supposed To Be and Embrace Who You Are by Brene Brown
13) Life is a Verb: 37 Days To Wake Up, Be Mindful and Live Intentionally by Patti Digh
14) What’s Holding You Back? 30 Days to Having The Courage and Confidence to Do What You Want, Meet Whom You Want and Go Where You Want by Sam Horn
15) The Gift of Adversity: The Unexpected Benefits of Life’s Difficulties, Set Backs and Imperfections by Norman Rosenthal
16) Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
17) The Gift of the Sea by Ann Morrow Lindbergh
18) Everything I Need to Know in Life I Learned From a Little Golden Book by Diane Muldrew
19) Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
20) Simplicity Parenting by Kim John Payne
21) Bossy Pants by Tina Fey
22) Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
So you get the idea…Read books which bring positive things into your life which make you happy. When the parents are happy, it’s easier for the kids to be happy too.