If you live near New York City or are planning a trip to visit NY with kids (or without), I highly recommend visiting the museums. It’s so interesting to get your children’s perspective when they look at pieces of art, large skeletons of dinosaurs, etc. Very often the museums have activity guides for the kids. It also provides them with an appreciation for the arts.
These are some of our favorites: ( Highlighting tips with a star *)
* Suggested general admission is $25 for adults and children under 12 are free.
* The museum is huge and family intinerary guides can help you manage your visit.
* When the weather is warmer, don’t forget the amazing rooftop garden which provides a great view of the city.
* Admission is $25 for adults and children under 16 are free.
* Admission is free for all visitors during UNIQLO Free Friday Nights, held every Friday evening from 4:00 to 8:00 p.m., but it is very crowded. I would avoid it.
* Andy Warhol, Picasso, Van Gogh’s Starry Night – kids loved these!
* They have an audio guide specifically with highlights for children.
* Admission is $25 for adults and children under 12 are free
* Pay what you wish Saturdays (5:45-7:45), but also very crowded
* Take the elevator to the 6th floor and walk down the spiral walkway. The shape and design of the museum is part of the fun!
* They have a wonderful activity guide for children.
* Suggested general admission is $22 and children are $12.50.
* Dinosaur exhibit and big blue whale are a must, but plan which other exhibits you want to see because you can’t see them all in one visit.
A few more general tips:
* If you are fortunate enough to work for a company which is part of a museum’s corporate membership program, you may even get in for free to many of the museums in New York City.
* Our local library in Long Island offers free museum passes to library card holders to the Cradle of Aviation, Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum; Guggenheim Museum; Nassau County Museum of Art and Old Westbury Gardens. You may want to check if your local NY library does the same.
* Remember to tell the kids not to touch items in these museums because the security guards will be telling (yelling at) them not to get too close.
There are so many museums in NYC. These are just a few of them. Explore and go on a fun adventure with your children. Great way to spur creative thinking and spend quality time with your family. Enjoy!